Kansas City Dangerous Residential Electrical Outlets
This is not something any parent wants to see – Their child exploring that fun set of electrical outlet holes in the wall. Unfortunately, as professional residential home electricians in Kansas City, we know this is all to common an occurrence.
Here are some quick tips on how to make your home more child friendly:
- Buy electrical outlet covers. If you’re apprehensive about the young ones trying to stick things into an electrical outlet, “new” sturdy outlet covers will give you peace of mind.
- Unplug and put away reachable electrical devices after you’re done using them. Keeps the plugs out of the hands of your children ones that may try to plug them back in. Children love to imitate their parents.
- Teach your kids the dangers of electric sockets and hot appliances. Tell them to stay away from electrical sockets and not to play with plugs or appliances.
- When your kids are old enough, let them learn by doing. Let them practice plugging things in and using things like the microwave under your supervision.
- Safety check all of your appliances to make sure there are no frayed wires or scorched sockets.
- Avoid using extension chords with extra outlets. They may help you run more appliances but they also present, in most cases, a lit distraction for your children.
- Water and electricity don’t mix. Electronics in the water can electrocute you and all children should know this so they don’t make a mistake and drop and appliance in the water.
In business since 2002, JMC Electric offers home, residential and business electrician services in Kansas City and surrounding communities.
Contact JMC Electric at 913-362-2100 for a free estimate on your electrical switches today.